Load previous tutorials
Improved Stove - Patsari Model
Patsari is a wood-saving stove which was developed in Mexico by the organisation GIRA (Interdisciplinary Group of Rural-Appropriate Technology) during the 2000s. Easy to build, low-cost and safe with regards to its impact on human health, the Patsari has since been rolled out to many different rural communities across Mexico.
- 2 day(s)
This tutorial gives you the process on how to make biodiesel on a medium-scale (about 50L) from used cooking oil. This tutorial was written following the Nomade des Mers crew's visit to Cambodia. The social enterprise Naga Earth collects and converts used cooking oil from the town's hotels and restaurants into biodiesel. They also make soap with glycerin that comes from this same reaction. This benefits various schools and associations who carry out hygiene programs throughout the region.
- 2 day(s)
Functioning, maintenance and regeneration of lead-acid batteries
Batteries are essential and expensive elements in off-grid installations. However, their operation and maintenance are not well known/not well understood by the general public.
This tutorial, therefore, has several objectives:
- Present/Explain how a lead-acid battery works.
- Present/Explain the different types of lead acid batteries.
- Present/Explain the major causes of degradation of lead batteries.
- Present/Explain the rules for the use and maintenance of lead batteries.
- Introduce the process of desulfation (or regeneration) of lead batteries.
- 14 day(s)